Wednesday 28 April 2010

Sharing our experience

I try to make my website useful as a resource for others by sharing my experience of installing and using different environmental measures. This week I went a bit further, I invited someone to come and see technology we had had installed in our house. I think this can be really important with environmental technologies that are not commonplace and where it's not possible to properly demonstrate them in a showroom. How do people decide whether to commit their hard-earned cash unless they can see something in action and understand what's involved?

There was a Government report a few years ago that referred to quite an important principle in take-up of any new technology, called 'I will if you will'. Basically when people see that others are taking up a new technology and that they seem happy with it then they are more likely to take it up too.

So those of you who have installed renewable technologies, water harvesting sytems used for toilet flushing, or mechanical ventilation with heat recovery, etc I would encourage you to share your experience. It's good to talk through the pros and cons based on your experience, you get to meet some nice people, and there may be things they've done that you want to find out more about.

If you share your experience with others then maybe we'll get more take up of green ideas and technologies - well, the good ones anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment